high blood pressure and Lymphedema

Exercises, Diets, Nutrition, Vitamins, Health, Coping, gardening, herbal remedies, truncal lymphedema, chronic illness, breathing, stress, arm exercises, leg exercises, water exercises, low impact exercises, weight training, chair exercises, resistance exercises, stretch exercises, lymphatic drainage, detox patches

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

high blood pressure and Lymphedema

Postby Kim » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:40 pm

My dr has started me on meds for high blood pressure. I'm going to do everything I can to help lower my blood pressure with further diet and exercise.

Seems that having lymphedema would increase the risk of high blood pressure because of the added stress on the body? Anyone else have a problem with theirs?

As far as the four types of medications are concerned, I know diuretics would not be good, but wouldn't the ACE inhibitors and angiotensin II antagonists be bad also since they prevent the kidneys from getting rid of excess fluid? The other two meds seem to be even worse for different reasons.

As of yesterday, i'm researching blood pressure info, so that I can be aware of the affects on my body, especially where LE is concerned, and I want to be more knowledgeable about it before going for my follow-up dr's visit.

Need some HELP here. Kind of freaking out about the whole thing.

Kim
Kim

Postby patoco » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:44 pm

Hi Ya Kim :)

Actually, it is interesting that lymphedema doesn't seem to play a part in high blood pressure.

We did an very unscientific poll in a cfew of our groups a couple years ago.

Based on the response it would appear that

1. Primary lymphers had about 2/3 less diagnoses of HBP then the gernal at large population.

2.) Secondary lymphers had just about the same incident ratio of HBP.

If you need to be on diuretics, then do follow the docs orders. I know that is suppose to be one thing we don't do. But other medical conditions may require it.

Because of the lymphatic "shutdown" I had last year from LE and 2ndary lymphoma, I am on high doses of diuretics. Without it, I would have already ballooned back up like last year.

The same process is actually occuring...but at a much decreased rate.

There are very mixed reviews pf ACE inhibitors and edema. In some situation they cause increased edema...especially edema classified as angioneutrotic edema.

But, some have actually shown to help such things as pulmonary edema.

NSAID's are great for being anti-inflammatory and are good at pain relief. They cause edema because they stop the micro-contractions of the lymphatics.

The angiotensin II meds actually don't had a bad record of causing additional edema. The problem with angiotensin II is they can seriously inter-react with other meds and conditinos:

What else should I tell my doctor?

You have allergies to other medicines.
You are thinking of becoming pregnant or you are pregnant.
You have taken an ACE inhibitor in the past and had a bad reaction.
You are breast-feeding your baby. (Doctors do not know if these medicines pass into breast milk. Do not breast-feed your baby and take these medicines without first talking to your doctor.)
You have other medical problems, such as kidney disease or liver disease.
You have diabetes.
You have severe congestive heart failure (especially if you are taking Avapro or Diovan).
You tend to become dehydrated very easily (especially if you are taking Avapro or Diovan).

Don't freak out now...just continue doing your resarch and if i cn help just let me know.

Big hug to ya

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby Kim » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:23 am

Thank you so much, Pat!

Other than lymphedema, I have no health concerns, and I am not on any medications. I've been very blessed and have taken my health for granted...until now. I guess that's why i've had such a hard time accepting lymphedema and now HBP.

After being on Avapro for only 2 days, I am noticing that i'm constantly thirsty; it's unquenchable. I drink alot of water anyway, but this is just rediculous. I feel like i'm all "dried" out. :? As my husband put it, the side affects from taking blood pressure meds can be almost worse than HBP itself. Guess that can be the case with any drug that anyone has to take.

I'll talk to my LE therapist on Monday and see what she suggests also.

Thanks again. Your input is most appreciated.
Kim :)
Kim

Postby Kim » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:17 pm

Went for my follow-up visit with my dr today.

My blood pressure has responded well to the medication, and i'm out of the danger zone. :D Along with taking the meds for HBP, i've started a strict diet...very low in salt, lowfat...lots of veggies, fruits, and protein. The main change is the salt. Boy, when you start watching salt, it's shocking to find how much salt is in our "typical" diet.

My body has really responded to the changes. I've lost alot of fluid and my therapist was surprised at the change in my tissues and better lymph movement. The swelling has gone way down in my hands and face; they actually look pretty normal now. :D

The infection that I originally went to the dr for has cleared up also. What I thought were hot flashes :oops: :roll: was really temperature surges from an ongoing infection. I didn't have any other symptoms, so that was kind of strange.

Blood tests were done today to check for a whole gamut of things. Hoping those come back with good results.

Had to share my good news!! YEAH! :lol:

Kim
Kim

High Blood pressure and Lymphadema

Postby bo dupre » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:44 pm

Hey guys I actually have high blood pressure, and Lymphadema (both legs)... Related? I don't know, but I have been on a few different types of meds. Diuretics being one type. I don't know if anyone else has experrienced this, but with the Diuretics I had that kick up a pretty severe itching incident.
I do excercise. I lift weights, and do cardio I think that has helped me keep stable. THis year is the first year that I've had to start to seek a dr. care for my LE. I'm 52 have had since birth.

I wanted to say thanks to everyone for all of the info on this site.
a Special thanks to Pat for starting this, and keeping this going.
:lol:
bo dupre

WELCOME BO!!!!!

Postby patoco » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:26 am

Hey Bo

Super welcome to our family here :!: :!: :!:

I always get excited to meet another long timer like yourself. Had this stuff since I was born in 1952.

When you have time, I would love to hear about your experiences, what you went through, how they treated (mistreated) you in the 50's and 60's (mr guinea pig here :cry: )

These two pages haven't been updated this year (yet) but they will give you a general idea of my own lymph line.

My Life with Lymphedema

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/wiki/do ... lymphedema

My Life with Lymphedema and Lymphoma

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/wiki/do ... d_lymphoma

Growing up I always "heard" there were others with LE, but except for my own family never met anyone with it.

I was 48 years old before I finally met other lymphers. It was at an annual meeting of the Lighthouse Lymphedema Network, here in the Atlanta area.

Whoaaaaa......how weird. After being alone all my life, there was this place full of people experiencing the same thing I did.

Can't wait to hear from you and look forward to your participation.

BTW..we just had another person join who also has had LE for decades, name is Blessed and she's had it for 47 years now (since birth).

Very best to you :!:

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Lymphedema Lifestyles