Bug Bite Protection

Diseases, Fungal Infections, treatment, health, Cuts, Scrapes, Blisters, Skin Hygiene, Shingles, Papillomatosis cutis carcinoides, Tea Tree Oil, Psoriasis, Dry Skin, Lymphomatoid Papulosis, Cutis Marmorata, Warts and Verrucas, Bug Bite Protection, laser hair removal, eczema, skin plaque, nodules, psoriasis, nail care, Acroangiodermatitis

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Bug Bite Protection

Postby patoco » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:00 pm

Bug Bite Protection

Lymphedema People

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com

Originally posted 04/13/2005

Hi
My name is Sue I've been fighting arm infections for 14 years now since my Breast Cancer in 1991. I've had so many infections that I am now allergic to Penicillin.

My dr. said I need to start wearing protection from Insects bites.
I'm not sure what to use What is safe, not to keen on using Deet.
Afraid it maybe abosored and cause more promblems.
Anyone have any suggestions

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pat

Hi Sue

Super welcome to our family here!!!!!

With Spring and Summer looming, this is such a good question and applies to all of us. I have a terrible history of chronic infections and am a gardner too...so that is the first thing on my mind when I am outside.

A lot of people aren't fond of using DEET, but I have continued to do so because of its effectiveness (these Georgia mosquitos have a huge appetite)

The only time I wouldn't recommend DEET is on children.

Found this excellent article on EMedicine about insect repellents:

Insect Repellents

http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic540.htm

Also, this can give some ideas of the different types available besides DEET.

Consumer guide: Insect repellent

http://www.freep.com/money/consumer/guide2_20000702.htm

INSECT REPELLENTS

http://docforgey.com/faq/1.html

There are other rules of thumb too. I usually water early in the morning, when the vampires are in full force. At that time of day, I wear a long sleeve shirt.

Watch out for fragerances and perfumes in soaps, lotion and deoderants.

One other thing, Sue, you may want to discuss and preventative therapy of antibiotics. Many of us have such problems with infections we have to take a daily maintenance course.

Hope this give ya some ideas.

Pat

Toad

Thanks so much for the information.

I've had two infections due to bites one a spider bite I recieved in the middle of the night in the middle of my chest. My arm and hand were completely wrapped. When I woke I had a real itchy spot and two days later I was in the ER again with another infection.

I'm running out of options on the antiboctics all ready having reaction to anything in the Penicillin family.

Some of my infections I have no idea what went wrong, I am very careful and wrap at night, wear my sleeve during the day and still it happens. Really getting frusarted with it. Twice I've cut my finger and had nothing happen at all. My sons hamster bit me once and nothing. So am really confused as to what is going on.

Do you every spray the Deet on your skin or just your clothing
Is the spray for children strong enough or should I use the adult spray

Thanks again.

Pat

CDC Adopts New Repellent Guidance for
Upcoming Mosquito Season

For Immediate Release
April 28, 2005

Americans have more options than ever to use in protecting themselves from mosquito bites. Today, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released new guidance about effective mosquito repellents available in the United States. The updated guidance includes addition of two active ingredients - picaridin and oil of lemon eucalyptus - which have been shown to offer long-lasting protection against mosquito bites. Repellents containing DEET continue to be a highly effective repellent option and are also included in the CDC guidelines.

Picaridin, also known as KBR 3023, is an ingredient found in many mosquito repellents used in Europe, Australia, Latin America and Asia for some time. Evidence indicates that it works very well, often comparable with DEET products of similar concentration. One product, containing 7 percent picaridin, is being distributed in the United States for the first time this year. The other repellent is oil of lemon eucalyptus (also known as p-menthane 3,8-diol or PMD), a plant-based mosquito repellent that provided protection time similar to low concentration DEET products in two recent studies. It is available in a variety of formulations throughout the United States.

"We're very excited that the number of options people have to protect themselves from mosquitoes and therefore West Nile Virus has increased," said CDC Director Julie L. Gerberding. "Products containing DEET, picaridin and oil of lemon eucalyptus are all excellent choices. The important thing is that they remember to protect themselves from mosquito bites when they're going to be outside. We want people to enjoy their spring and summer free of West Nile Virus."

Mosquito season has already begun in some parts of the country. With mosquitoes comes the risk of West Nile Virus infection and other infections spread by mosquitoes. Just one bite can lead to an infection that could cause serious illness or even death. While people over 50 are more likely to become seriously ill if infected with WNV, people of any age can become mildly to seriously ill. Most people who contract West Nile Virus do not show any symptoms. However, about 20 percent of people experience symptoms such as fever, headache, nausea and vomiting and an estimated 1 in 150 people infected with WNV will develop severe illness. The severe symptoms can include high fever, stupor, disorientation, coma, tremors, convulsions, muscle weakness, vision loss and paralysis.

DEET, picaridin and oil of lemon eucalyptus are all registered with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, which regulates these products. Repellents registered with EPA have been evaluated for both safety and efficacy when used according to label instructions.

CDC recommends that people use repellent anytime they go outside, especially during prime mosquito biting hours, between dusk and dawn. People should follow the label instructions, and if they start getting bitten re-apply repellent.

CDC works with state and local health departments, federal and other government agencies, as well as private industry, to prepare for and prevent new cases of West Nile virus infection. CDC coordinates ArboNet, a nation-wide electronic database that gathers information about West Nile virus in humans and animals, in order to guide prevention and response activities. To learn more about how to protect yourself and your family from West Nile Virus, please visit www.cdc.gov/westnile. More information on the guidance is available at http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnil ... pdates.htm.

dragonfly

I live in an area in the US where the tiny mosquitos bite fiercely. Be sure to pour out any standing water around where you might be, as well as eliminating containers which might fill with rain outside. Mosquitoes breed very quickly in water. In addition to their feeding
between dusk and dawn (it's the female who needs the blood for the complete development of her eggs), it's possible to encounter a swarm
of these insects if they're rising up from standing water, a puddle,
creek, etc. I have reacted fiercely to chigger bites, as well as those
from mosquitoes and spiders. This is what I do, and it works for me. When noticing an insect bite skin reaction, I swab the area with rubbing alcohol. If chiggers are present, this anaesthesizes and kills
them. Since skin swelling, etc. is a reaction, I act to cool down the
body and de-sensitize. A paste made of cool water and baking soda can
be very soothing and calming. Then I homeopathically act to de-sensitize self. I take a homeopathic medicine/remedy called Apis Mellifica in the 6X or 30C potency. Apis Mellifica is the latin name for the honey bee. This medicine can antidote insect bites of any kind. For the fear and anxiety, and to offset developing cellulitis
abscess, I take Arsenicum Album 6X. The calmer I am, the less of an overall localized or systemic reaction there is. I do not use any insect repellant. I've taken the time to learn the ways of the insects. Bees sting only for protection, and if we are in their flight
path to a good pollen source. The bees that hunt generally are female
workers, and they tend to be very focused on the work at hand. So I stay out of their way. Often, I talk to them. I studied beekeeping many years ago. They would gather on my hands, shoulders and hair. I never got stung. There were fire ants building a huge mound near a place where some people wanted to hike into the woods near my house. I was told that some poison substance would be placed there to kill them. When I saw some of the ants near my house, I talked to them I told them that they had to move their home, or they and their children
would die - and the earth would be poisoned. Later on, the person who
had intention to put down chemical poisons said it wasn't necessary after all, because the ants just went away and never came back. Yellow
jackets live in the earth, and are carnivorous. I have sat at table with people for a meal where yellow jackets have approached. While the others screamed and waved their hands and ran away in fright, I offered the insects some of my meat. Then the insects gathered to eat the offering quietly, and left when they'd had enough. Fear is a mid killer, and a soul stealer. If I were to get west nile fever, I would treat it homeopathically with Arsenicum Album. There is such terror as
a first reaction to these incidents, it seems, that I go for crisis response and treat the fear first. Then everything else calms down, my mind is clearer, the lymphedema eases, infection stops in its tracks (Hepar Sulph 6X is well know for that in particular), and I go on with my life. There's a wonderful book written about insects from different perspectives which reflects on their world and ways, and how often they are messengers. The world of insects is fiercely in the moment, and also very fierce. But it is a clean fierceness, with no lies or deception. They simply are what they are. No hidden motives. Sometimes, that can be very refreshing. And they come in so many different forms and varieties. It's raining now. A cool, gentle sound. The earth here is thirsty. So am I.

I have to stop thinking in order to feel myself at peace. - Malidoma Some (African shaman)

One more thought. Aloe vera is a succulant plant, with wonderful juice inside those spiny green arms. The juice can be bought cheaply in probably any drugstore, and kept in the refrigerator after opening.
Aloe has wonderful healing/medicinal properties. It is well known to cool the body, and heal burns. It has a mucilagic substance which helps to heal stomach ulcers. It also has antisceptic properties. I have never tried it on an insect bite, but I'm sure that it would help. I keep some in a small jar in the refrigerator. It is fine to take it internally - a small amount added to some juice would be fine.

This I have done. A reminder is that it has a mild laxative affect when taken internally. So drinking plenty of water is important if this is done. Later.
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Skin care, conditions, complications