Protection of the skin under the compression stocking

Diseases, Fungal Infections, treatment, health, Cuts, Scrapes, Blisters, Skin Hygiene, Shingles, Papillomatosis cutis carcinoides, Tea Tree Oil, Psoriasis, Dry Skin, Lymphomatoid Papulosis, Cutis Marmorata, Warts and Verrucas, Bug Bite Protection, laser hair removal, eczema, skin plaque, nodules, psoriasis, nail care, Acroangiodermatitis

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Protection of the skin under the compression stocking

Postby LymphedemaGirl » Thu May 03, 2012 4:41 am

Hi all, I am going on a walking holiday soon where I will be walking quite a lot. So far my training has been going well exept for one incident where I probably overdid it a little and my foot went very hot with red spots. It was not Rosen or Cellulitis, and it was fine after a couple of days, but it was a bit of a scare. I think what happened was that the compression stocking was rubbing against the skin. My stocking is by Medi and it is thick and quite coarse. I am wondering how to prepare for the trip should this problem occur on the way. I have been looking at some tape called Micropore by 3M and I have been thinking about liquid band aid. What do you think/what would you do? Thank you.
LymphedemaGirl

Re: Protection of the skin under the compression stocking

Postby patoco » Fri May 04, 2012 7:00 am

Hey Lymphgirl :!:

I use a rolled gauze bandage under the short stretch ones. This gives a good cushion and protects the skin from direct contact of the bandage.

It's great - stays in place - is comfortable.

Hope that holiday goes super - let us know :)

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Re: Protection of the skin under the compression stocking

Postby LymphedemaGirl » Tue May 08, 2012 6:48 am

Hi Pat,

I too use gauze (and cotton) under the shortstretch bandages when I wrap for the night but during the day I wear a compression stocking. I am not sure I can put gauze under the stocking, but I guess it is worth a try. I've been thinking perhaps I could sew a little piece of silk or something on the inside of the stocking on selected places.

LymphedemaGirl
LymphedemaGirl

Return to Skin care, conditions, complications