New Registrant Question on Weeping Areas and Skin Lotions

Diseases, Fungal Infections, treatment, health, Cuts, Scrapes, Blisters, Skin Hygiene, Shingles, Papillomatosis cutis carcinoides, Tea Tree Oil, Psoriasis, Dry Skin, Lymphomatoid Papulosis, Cutis Marmorata, Warts and Verrucas, Bug Bite Protection, laser hair removal, eczema, skin plaque, nodules, psoriasis, nail care, Acroangiodermatitis

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Postby patoco » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:01 pm

Lymphedema People

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com

-------

Originally posted 04/09/2005

by: medah20001

I have been diagnosed as having Chrpnic Lymphedema (Elephantiasis Vercusa Nostra) by my Dermatolgist at the VA Hosp. He has recommended massage therapy, which I am scheduled to began on the 12 of April thru Medicare, since the VA at Hines Ill does not have a therapist.

At the present my right leg has been weeping (correct term?) for approximately three weeks and I am quite depressed. I have many physical problems, diabetes, heart (angina), arteritis (both ankles) and my spine. (constant pain). I have arterial blockage in both legs.
(small veins) for years. My legs dd swell and have swole for years, most likely due to bypass surgery in my right leg and I have also had radiation therapy for prostate cancer. I have been told not to wear compression stockings due to the arterial blockage in my legs, If I try and wrap my legs with gauze at the present, the gauze is soaking wet after five or ten minutes.

My clothing socks and pants are getting soaking wet, The weeping at the present is in the right leg only. The skin on that leg blew up in a hugh blister like appearance before it busted. The skin is now trying to heal, I wash it daily with baby soap (liquid) and an iodine solution and water. It is hard for me to prop my legs up in bed due to the spinal condition. My legs swell but at the present, I am sure I am not as bad as some of you, My biggest gripe now is the weeping.

Oh by the way i forgot I did have cellutis while in November,s but I was treated for that with anti biotics, since I was in the hospital for another condition. In December I was diagnosed with gaut in my left hand. Any suggestions or etc will be welcome. Thank You.

Responses

Pat

Hi Charles

Warm welcome to our family here.

With arterial blockage and lymphedema, it is not surprising you have the elephantiasis vercusa nostra. The placque and accompaning blisters are a result of collagen being "pushed" to the outer skin layers by the swelling.

The fluid weeping out of the leg is called lymphorrhea. It is very important to stop the seepage as this liquid will cause further deterioration of the adjacent dermal areas.

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/thesite ... orrhea.htm

Here's a short piece on treating wounds:

Treatment of Superficial Wounds on a Lymphodemous Limb

I learned a wonderful technique from a wound clinic several years ago. This is excellent for superficial wounds.

I use a very simply, but effective ointment. Desitin with zinc,
thats right baby diaper ointment.

Cover the wound with ointment and place several pieces of square gauze over it. Wrap the affected part of the limb with rolled gauze and then wrap around that with an elastic bandage. Wrap firm but not over tight, using a criss cross method (figure eight).

NOTE: This is for superficial wounds only. If the wound does not clear up within a few days, consult your doctor. You must also see your doctor immediately if it is a large wound or injury or if there begins to be inflammation or infection.

Sometimes, you may even need to go to a Wound Clinic. I have found them to be wonderful and very helpful.

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/thesite ... evised.htm

The wound banadage described can be applied without the typical intense compression used in a compression garment.

Charles, this is going to be difficult. But as long as there is unchecked swelling the wounds are not going to heal effectively, if at all. The swelling will continue to pull apart the very tissues that are trying to heal.

Discuss this bandage technique with your doctor. Also, see if perhaps you might should be seen at a wound clinic.

The only other option is a gauze bandage being applied with underlying ointment and complete bed rest with your legs elevated above your heart level.

Once you start receiving decongestive therapy for the lymphedema and the swelling is decreased, that should also help on these problems.

You may also want to discuss with the doctor about putting you on a preventative therapy of antibiotics, at least until these weepings areas are healed. These open areas present excellant entry foci for bacteria and once you have experienced cellulitis, you become more susceptible to a reocurrance

I hope this gives you some ideas to work with.

Look forward to getting to know you and please don't hesitate to post with further questions.

Pat

Pat

Hi Family

Here's the scoop on all skin lotions that have a base of either petroleum or animal oils (fat).

Lymphedema patients should not be using theses lotions.

There are two reasons for this.

First, oil based lotions tend to clog the skin pores and in the long term prevent the skin from "breathing"

Second, and perhaps the most important is that these products because of their nature hold heat in. This is very bad for lymphedema patients as this heat tends to degrade the skin structure further and can lead to inflammation, skin craking and peeling.

Emu oil, has no nutriative value for helping the skin heal itself and maintain its own natural health. What we need is a nutriative substance that feeds the skin and helps it stay healthy from the inside out.

Lotions, ointments and salves with zinc, vitamin e and aloe provide this.

I also do not recommend the use of hydrocortisone on lymphedema limbs either. Any limb afflicted with lymphedema is immunocompromised. Steroids further decreaase your body's imune reaction, thereby making you even more susceptible to infections.
This is true of steroids whether they are taken internally where they affect the whole body, or used externally where they will affect the immune response in the area they are used.

Finally, I want to repeat the caution about not popping blisters. The last thing you need is yet another entry door for bacteria.

Hope this clarifies!

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Desitin with Zinc

Postby mommby » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:05 pm

Hello,

I have lymphedema concentrated in my legs particularly my left one.

It is constantly wet from weeping sores and I did try Desitin with Zinc for about 2 weeks now and I really don't see a difference at all. Leg is still weeping pretty heavily and I do bandage it and wrap it every other day.

Is there any other ideas out there for me? I appreciate any help.

Thank you.
mommby

Postby patoco » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:45 pm

Hi Mommby :)

Super welcome to our family!!!!

You read my mind, I was going to ask exactly how you were wrapping.

The kerlix pads and gauze sound good, but I am wondering if the eleastic wrap strech bandages are providing the proper amount of compression.

This is critical to keeping the selling down and in help the wound to heal.

Short stretch bandages are very important as they don't have the elasticity that regular bandages do. They firmly hold the leg.

Also, to help keep the bandage sable and help the compression factor, I wrap in a figure "8" method.

Very small or slight open areas should close in a day or so. Larger ones will take longer.

Is this a spot that just opened up? Or is it an injury site.

Oh,, also you may want to take a look at this page:

Lymphedema Short Stretch Bandages

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/thesite ... ndages.htm

Look forward to hearing from you! :!: :!:

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Skin care, conditions, complications