Cost of Flexitouch System

Welcome to all our family and friends. Patients, families, caregivers, therapists, nurses, doctors, anyone with a concern for and interest in lymphedema is most welcome!!!

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Cost of Flexitouch System

Postby auntshee » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:04 pm

I am newly diagnosed with lymphedema in both of my legs. My therapist today recommended a flexitouch system. Does anyone have any information on the cost involved? I do not have insurance. I have contacted the company but have not received a response. Thank you for your help.

Sherry
auntshee

Postby patoco » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:03 pm

Hi Sherry :)

If I'm not mistaken, it costs in the neighborhood of $8,000. They have recently lowered the price and I recall an email saying the new price was in the range.

Are you getting one for the arm or leg?

Pat O
patoco
Site Admin

Postby auntshee » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:17 pm

I am looking to get one for the legs. I have bilateral primary in my legs.
I was sure hoping that the system was not that expensive. I am paying out of pocket for treatments and etc. It all adds up so quickly.
auntshee

Re: Cost of Flexitouch System

Postby KittyKat » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:05 pm

Hi Sherry, I have primary lymphedema in both legs. I know how you feel I do not have medical insurance either, I have to go through the Veterans Administration and that's worse than not having insurance I think! I did want to ask you though what is the Flexitouch System? I'm in the process of trying to get new pumps.

Sarah
KittyKat

Postby patoco » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:36 pm

Hey Sarah :)

Here is some info on the Flexitouch:

The Flexitouch Device - Initial Observations

viewtopic.php?t=155

Flexitouch Device for Arm Lymphedema

viewtopic.php?t=273

The company's homepage:

http://www.tactilesystems.com/

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby Iween » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:57 am

Pat, I am really interested in finding something that works because sometimes I am just too tired to self massage. Do you know anyone who has used this product? And is it sucessful? I can handle the cost if it is something that will last and work. I have never used any kind of pump even. Also self massaged. I would appreciate any input anywone has on this one. Thanks!!! Enjoy your day.

Irene
Iween

Postby patoco » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:34 pm

HI Ya Irene :)

There have been several people who have used the Flexitouch in our various groups and all of them like it and feel it has really helped.

I did a test run when it was just being brought out.

What impressed me was how totally comfortable it was, how gentle it was - much like the msasage therapy, it does helpo clear the abdominal lymphatics first and finally, that yes, it really was effective.

Because of the severe lung fluid, I can not use it (nor wear LE sleeves or compresino garments), but if I could I would have one too.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby gottahavesun3 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:43 pm

I have had the Flexitouch systems since February and I love it. I have full body LE, so have attatchments for all 4 limbs. The price for me, which is higher than most because of all of the limbs involved was over 10K, insurance covered mine and I had to pay 20% of approved cost. They have payment plans available with no interest for 2 years or will work with you on payment options. My insurance is Anthem FEP PPO. The results and comfort would have been worth it to me if I had to pay the full cost.

Since I have full body, it was impossible to do MLD on my entire body. I also have Reid sleeves for all limbs and still use them at night, in various configurations(R arm, L leg, etc) I do 2 limbs each morning and then 2 limbs at night. Each limb takes an hour. The part I like the best is that all limbs include pieces for your hip, butt, and stomach, so these parts actually get some attention during the treatment. The pieces you put on are very comfortable when the machine is on. The pieces have chambers that run up and down the garments and the air chambers fill up, deflat, fill up the next, and so on. It feels like a light massage and is so comfortable I actually sleep when I using it. If you need anymore info, please feel free to ask me.
gottahavesun3

Postby Iween » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:26 am

Thanks so much for the input ! I just had a representative contact me, but my husband had surgery Monday so I hope to meet with him in the next couple of weeks. I have a large deductible ($3000.00) then it covers only 70%. (Blue Cross/ Blue Shield), and my insurance said I would need medical necessity documentation?? Did you need a request from a physician??? Does Flexitouch take measurements or do I need my therapist to do this? I guess I will find out more once I meet with the representative. Sounds almost like buying a car!! Wow! $10 grand.

But I am very excited to hear the positive results! It sounds much easier than trying to do MLD on your own. By the end of the day I am just too tired!!

Irene
Iween

Postby davef » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:03 am

mine cost 11,000 more than my truck and car combined if their is any body outtheir that wants to buy one mine is for sale just e-mail me at davidfernandez@att.net thanks as i have just been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer so i wont be using mine sohopefully their is some one out their that can use it thanks and god bless
davef

Return to Welcome Family