Injection in lymphedema area

Welcome to all our family and friends. Patients, families, caregivers, therapists, nurses, doctors, anyone with a concern for and interest in lymphedema is most welcome!!!

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Injection in lymphedema area

Postby donsuzbee » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:41 am

From having right mod radical mastectomy, expansion for implant, implant inserted and then 4 yrs implant removed due to capsular contraction caused by 6 wks radiation needed for local recurrance, I have major lymphedema in upper right quandrant. I now have mets to spine & adrenal gland and a recent PET Scan showed a 10.7 uptake in my right clavicular area. Radiologist indicates the high uptake is probably due to inflammation caused by osteoarthritis. Oncologist has referred me to a rheumatologist for possible cortisone injection to reduce the inflammation. What is the standard opinion/ advice on injections in lymphedema area? Thank you for any help you can give me!
donsuzbee

Re: Injection in lymphedema area

Postby patoco » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:25 am

Tough question. I would check and see if there might be something else that can be used.

My concerns regarding cortisone is that it can lower your resistance to infection and it also can cause edema. Having additional edema on top of the lymphedema isn't something I would want to do.

Now having said that, we do have members who have had a cortisone shot, not in the effected, limb though. They reported that they actually did not have additional swelling (were very careful about being sure to use compression garments) and had no infection from the shot.

A couple also reported they took antibiotics to help further prevent any infection.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Re: Injection in lymphedema area

Postby donsuzbee » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:09 pm

I guess my concern is the "stick" in the lymphedema. Not so concerned about the cortisone. I thought thru the years I have understood not to have sticks or blood pressure in the arm of mastectomy and especially if there is lymphedema.
Pat, I appreciate all your help. Hope you are doing well.
Susan
donsuzbee

Return to Welcome Family