New, worried and seeking advice

Welcome to all our family and friends. Patients, families, caregivers, therapists, nurses, doctors, anyone with a concern for and interest in lymphedema is most welcome!!!

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Re: New, worried and seeking advice

Postby patoco » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:08 am

Hi Sarah

I can imagine how frightening this all is for you. Since I was born with lymphedema, I didn't go through that kind of terror.

I did though when the lymphoma appeared. It didn't help either that the first groups of doctors I had for the lymphoma didn't know about or care squat about the lymphedema.

But, as hard as it is, try your best not to let your imagination run wild on you. I have found that worse usually doesn't happen and if we can push that aside and just go on with life, we will be far better off.

Since your swelling started after injuries, that would be classified as secondary. Secondary can be a result not only of cancer, but of any trauma or injury to the lymphatic system.

Yes, you should be wearing those stockings everyday, but having said that.....those compression stockings you have may not be the best size for you either. Sarah, the very very best thing you can do at this point is to get yourself to a certified lymphedema therapist for a complete evaluation and management program. You'll be amazed at how much they can help.

BTW, don't ever feel like you have to apologize for "ranting." Just remember we have all been through this and that we are all here for you in any way we can be.

My very best to you!

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Welcome Family