new here!

Welcome to all our family and friends. Patients, families, caregivers, therapists, nurses, doctors, anyone with a concern for and interest in lymphedema is most welcome!!!

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

new here!

Postby starfish » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:25 pm

Hello everybody!
I am a lymphedema therapist in Idaho and have lurked off and on over the past couple years here and elsewhere. Decided recently to quit my job and persue my passion of treating the WHOLE patient instead of just the limb.
By coming to the forums I am hoping to 1) be able to answer people's questions with my trained knowledge, and 2) understand better what it is like living day to day with lymphedema, and how I can better help my patients avoid some of the frustration and heartache I read on the forums. I will admit that a good part of my inspiration to pursue out-of-the-box treatments has been reading the forum posts. I feel like we, as lymphedema treatment providers, are failing you because we are not taking into account issues such as aesthetics, the amount of time it is taking to do all the prescribed management, the associated issues that cause pain, etc.... you know all the things I am talking about because you talk about it here!
Anyway, besides that I am a mother of three boys, I love to garden, we raise a lot of our own food (meat, fruit, veggies), I am fascinated with alternative and complimentary healing and would love to become a naturopath and/or chiropractor some day!

So - - that's me!
starfish

Re: new here!

Postby patoco » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:33 am

Hi "Starfish"

Super welcome to our family here. Idaho is a lovely state and I am especially fond of Northern Idaho from Coeur d'Alene north to the border. Even with bilateral lymphedema I was a gardener up until a couple years ago. At one point I had a 3500 sq ft raised bed garden plus quite an assortment of fruit trees, berries, grapes and nuts - and all that on a city lot. In Oregon, I went the organic gardening route, but here in Georgia it has been a nightmare to do so as there are so many nasty bugs down here that we didn't even dream of in Oregon.

I hope you will find useful information and can gain a deeper understanding of we as patients go through and struggle with.

I also have to admit, I am not particularly fond of alternative and/or complimentary medicine. This is due to the lack of clear concise independent clinical studies that would verify so many claims made by the various complimentary techniques. As a result, our entire site is geared towards evidence based medicine/science.

Feel free to post, ask any question or concern.

My best to you

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Welcome Family