I am angry.

Welcome to all our family and friends. Patients, families, caregivers, therapists, nurses, doctors, anyone with a concern for and interest in lymphedema is most welcome!!!

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

I am angry.

Postby jtlysiak » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:21 am

Today I didn't have anything to do, so I did a web search for lymphedema images. I couldn't believe it - a picture of my arm appeared. My doctor had taken a picture of it for an insurance appeal. But my doctor, clinic and hospital were the ones giving permission for the use of the photo - a clinic on the other coast was giving permission for the use of the photo. I feel so violated. It cancer and lymphedema were enough, now my privacy has been violated. I want to cry! :(
jtlysiak

Re: I am angry.

Postby joanne johnson » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:39 pm

I don't blame you for being angry. That was an invasion of your privacy! I had a similar situation where a doctor practically forced me into letting him take pictures of my swollen legs. He wanted to put the pictures in a book. He actually said that it was too bad that one leg wasn't normal so you could see the difference. I was actually in a hospital in Maryland with a lymphedema doctor I had been referred to and never met before. I should never have given into him as he was only thinking of himself! You could contact the doctor and clinic and ask them to show you your letter of permission for them to put your picture on line and go from there. Good luck.

Please try to get over your justified anger. Maybe that picture was informative and helped someone else.
joanne johnson

Postby jtlysiak » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:58 am

Joanne. I am ashamed of myself. I just let myself get carried away last night. Vanity is such a silly thing. When it pops up, at my age I should know to beat it down. I should be grateful to be in the wonderful world. I am sorry about your experience. Did the good doctor volunteer to share his profits? lol Oh, the crazy things we do in the name of Lymphedema. Sometimes I get tired of educating everyone I meet. The questions we answer that we would never ask another. You have a good spirit! Thank you for your kind words. Judy
jtlysiak

Postby joanne johnson » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:12 pm

Hi Judy,

Please don't be so hard on yourself. Do not feel embarrased or ashamed. We are all human with emotions that we need to express. Lymphedema People give us the means to express ourselves among other people with the same problems. I hope you feel better today.

Hey, enjoy the rest of the summer. I care about you :D .
joanne johnson

Postby blubrdfrend » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:15 am

Judy, I understand how you felt. I found a photo on line and was stunned to see my legs. I just sat and stared a it for minutes trying to understand who would have published the photo. It had to be the doctor who did surgery on my left leg. As I studied the photo, I realized that the leg in the photo with Lymphedema was the right leg. The left leg was skinny just like my right leg. I am sure that I did give permission to publish photos of my legs for purposes of study. If I do someday see photos of my legs, I will try to be as kind and gracious as you.
Betty
blubrdfrend

Return to Welcome Family