New to sight

Welcome to all our family and friends. Patients, families, caregivers, therapists, nurses, doctors, anyone with a concern for and interest in lymphedema is most welcome!!!

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

New to sight

Postby tnfisher » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:39 am

I just found this sight the other day while searching for more info about lymphedema. I have lived with lymphedema of my right leg now since I was around 22. I am 31 now. From all the test I had done the only decesion made was that I had been born with this, but never showed at all until I was 22. I have never been 100% sure that it just happened and their is no history of this in my family. I am not over weight and was very active when this started. I use a compression stocking all the time and will occasionally wrap it when it bothers me most. I try to live my life without this stopping me, but sometimes it does. I work at a job where I put in between 45 and 50 hours a week and stay on my feet most of that. Sometimes the long days are bad, but some days staying idle at the house is worse. I guess I just try and not think about it and go on about my day. Well I am glad to have found this sight and see that I am not the only person going through this and hope to read more and hear more things about lymphedema that may make dealing with this easier.
tnfisher

Re: New to sight

Postby blubrdfrend » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:25 pm

Welcome TN Fisher. We are glad to have you as a member. I am also new to the site. I have learned so much. I was also told that my lymphedema, which appeared at age 17, was inherited. I never believed it until recently. I was working on genealogy and found a box of photos that had belonged to my grandmother. I had looked through the photos many times at her house as a child. I found a photo of my great grandmother. In the photo, she is standing in the yard. Her dress is long, hanging almost to her ankles. Both of her ankles are swelled out over her shoes. I found a photo of her brother and his family. He and his wife are sitting with the children standing behind them (1800's). Although he is wearing pants, I can tell one of his legs was swelled. This disease must have skipped two generations in my family. Ask questions of your family members now, while they are here and able to remember. You will probably need to find another type of employment that does not require you to stand or walk many hours. I am 64 and it looks like I will give up rock hunting (arrowheads) because of the chance of falling or getting a cut or scratch.
Betty
blubrdfrend

Re: New to sight

Postby patoco » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:54 am

Hey "TN" :)

Super welcome to the family :!: :!:

If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to post them.

Also, if you haven't seen a certified lymphedema therapist, please, please get a referal to one. Sounds like you could use some good treatment and need to start wearing compression garments. That would be a tremendous help and would enable you to do a bit more of what you want to.

We have to wear those bandages daily for them to do any good. Be sure to use short stretch bandages -not ace wraps - and try doing it daily and see if that can help as well.

I've traced LE back to my grandmother (b.1881), but I too suspect she wasn't the first one. I kinda remember mention of others who ahd "milk leg" (what they use to call it way back then). For some reason, families didn't talk about things like that so, we may never know exactly who had it. Right now we have about 6 extended family members with it that I know about.

My best to you :!:
Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Welcome Family