Lymphedema and shoes

Welcome to all our family and friends. Patients, families, caregivers, therapists, nurses, doctors, anyone with a concern for and interest in lymphedema is most welcome!!!

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Lymphedema and shoes

Postby tsegadesta » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:47 pm

Hi I have bilateral lymphedema in both legs post radiation and chemotherapy for cervical cancer. I wear elvarex pantyhose custom made. Throughout the years I have observed the swelling around my ankles becoming worse in both legs and recently one thing I realized is the shoes I wear barely make it above my ankles letting the lymph collects between my bone and the top of my shoes. I have been looking for shoes that will help but I haven't been successful. Does anyone know of a website or a store that carries shoes ideal for lymphedema? Thanks!
tsegadesta

Re: Lymphedema and shoes

Postby joanne johnson » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:31 am

Hello,

I also have lymphedema in my legs and have difficulty finding shoes that fit. Try looking through the yellow pages of your phone book. Some shoe stores advertise that they specialize in hard to find sizes such as extra wide etc. You will pay more for them and they may not be too feminine looking but you will be comfortable. Good Luck!
joanne johnson

Return to Welcome Family