Howdy from Dallas. Newly diagnosed (secondary lymphedema)

Welcome to all our family and friends. Patients, families, caregivers, therapists, nurses, doctors, anyone with a concern for and interest in lymphedema is most welcome!!!

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

Howdy from Dallas. Newly diagnosed (secondary lymphedema)

Postby msimmons » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:46 pm

Hello Everyone,
...hope all are well. Diagnosed wiht BC in January 2008; surgery in February; lymphedema in September. Doctor never said a word about the possibility.
I have many questions from those of you who are experts - looking for hope.

1. It feels like the joint in my shoulder has arthritis. Is this typical lymphedema and if so, will this feeling go away at some point?

2. For those who were fortunate enough to catch it early, have you had success in maintenance?

3. Is it normal for the limb to burn and tingle even if it is managed properly? I'm expecting it to feel pretty much like the other arm particularly when using my compression sleeve.

4. Does the weather exacerbate your lymphedema?

I have more, but I will save other questions for later.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

msimmons
msimmons

Re: Howdy from Dallas. Newly diagnosed (secondary lymphedema)

Postby glavelle » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:24 pm

I don't have any good advice for you, but I wanted to say WELCOME! The folks on this board are wonderful and *will* have answers for you.

gail
glavelle

Postby joanne johnson » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:02 am

Hi Gail,

I would also like to welcome you to this site. You will learn so much information and communicate with other people who know exactly what you are going through. We basically all share the same problems.

The earlier you start to treat this condition, the better your results will be. Your lymph limb(s) can greatly improve but will never be as before. Burning and tingling are normal as there is alot of compression going on and pressing on nerves. Weather definately does make a difference. Hot weather causes more swelling. Try to avoid your skin exposure to the sun or even hot showers etc.

Lymphedema is definately a challenge and alot of work to keep things under control. You are far from alone, so don't get down on yourself. Life can be quite normal and joyful. We are here for you. :)
joanne johnson

Postby msimmons » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:19 pm

Thanks for the welcome, and thank you Joanne for the info. I hope to make a difference in the self-management of my arm. I'm going to have to have another surgery after the first of the year - reconstruction to fix the implant that has gone bad (capsular contracture). I'm a bit concerned about it
because it could happen again with the new implant and I'm afraid of possible infection. If I don't manage it properly, I may be in trouble.
Any thoughts?

Thanks again!
msimmons
msimmons

Postby joanne johnson » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:28 am

Hi msimmons,

Sorry for the name mix up between you and Gail. As far as being concerned about the second surgery that you have planned find out all the info concerning the possibly of further problems and any preventitive measures you and your doctor can take. If your surgeon doesn't offer you any antibiotics to prevent the possibility of infection, ask for them. You need to take all precautions that are necessary. Keep us posted. Good luck to you always! :)
joanne johnson

Postby msimmons » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:29 am

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated.
msimmons

Return to Welcome Family